On This Sunday 70 Years Ago – July 24, 1952

From the St. Mark's Archives

The single-page bulletin included a mass-produced front picture of sheep coming home from the field with the title “The Call of the Unseen Shepherd” and the back cover a reflection on “God-Given Contentment.” The “Parish Notes” announced, “The organ will be cleaned and completely renovated during August.” There also was announcement of installation of a tablet “commemorating the period that St. Mark’s was the Pro-Cathedral” of the diocese. That tablet can be seen today on the west side of the tower. “Our Young People” were invited to the 8 am service the following Sunday followed by breakfast. It announced that Rev. Ernest E. Bruder would be in charge of services while Rector Robert Plumb was on vacation. [Rev. Bruder had been “the first Protestant chaplain to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital.” “By the 1950s, Bruder was regarded as a renowned teacher…and innovator in the field of clinical pastoral care, specializing in developing worship techniques…and a philosophy of homiletics for ministry to the mentally ill.”] https://ndingaids.library.emory.edu/documents/P-MSS355/  [Sources drawn from the St. Mark’s Archives]

Comments are closed.